IPL 5: Day 31 – Eden takes down Dada & Dravid’s Double R back in track…
Blog :Rams & Around Me's Weblog
Date: 5/5/2012 6:41:05 PM
Double header Saturday…
Kolkata Knight Riders Vs Pune Warriors India
Prince of Kolkata returns to his home ground Eden Garden as the opposition skipper, Must Win situation, a lose here will put Pune Warriors out of contention for this year’s IPL. KKR on a winning roll, will like to continue the same without doubt.
Gambhir won the toss and without any hesitation decided to bat first, and got off to one of the best starts for this season, When Gambhir departed to a well made fifty, KKR were 113/1 in 12.3 overs. McCullum followed skipper soon, Some tight bowling & brilliant fielding kept KKR under pressure and runs dried up totally. Eventually KKR finished with 150/5 in 20 overs. Dada would be very happy as they restricted KKR under the par score, for Pune, Mathews was the strike bowler.
Clarke opened the innings with Uthappa, but even before both could get started Marchant de Lange who is playing his first game for this season picked up both the openers. For some reason Dada didn’t come to bat upfront and kept him at the back, may be he was avoiding to bat in front of his home crowd, but that was not the case as Pune Warriors fell like pack of cards, with score 55/5 in 8 overs and Ganguly had to walk in as the 7th Batsmen. To speak genuinely he was more than OK than the other games he played. He along with Mathews tried to bring back Pune into game and they almost did as well. Both brought the game so close as 24 needed from 16 balls one stage, but its the mystery off-spinner Sunil Narine again who has been main tormentor for Pune, as he picked 4-1-13-1. As the wickets fell at wrong time and Pune fell 7 runs short to victory.
KKR won the match by 7 runs.
Rajasthan Royals Vs Kings XI Punjab
Again a must win game for Royals, Dravid won the toss and decided to bat first, to note on front, they made five changes with respect to the last game. They dropped Shah & Hogg to get Shaun Tait & Botha back in squad. Rahane failed early today as he was gone for 5 runs. But Skipper continued where he left, scored another 46 runs along side with Watson’s 36, Menaria’s 34. Late strike from Hodge got Royals to 177/6 in 20 overs. Ryan Harris picked up 4 wickets, Thanks to Shaun marsh who plucked two impossible catches.
KXIP started off in a wrong note as Mandeep fell in the second over, Saini as well didn’t stick too long, perished for Shaun Tait’s pace. Double strike came in the consecutive overs, for Royals were Hussey mistimed one to long on and Marsh next over missed a straight forward ball to hear sound of timber. Scorecard read 59/4 in 8 overs. From then on it was kind of ritual that KXIP has to play out, no excitement what so ever. Azhar tried few gimmicks for some time along with debutant Gurkreet Singh. Nothing much though as KXIP folded out for 134/8 in 20 overs.
Rajasthan Royals won the game by 43 runs…
Standings as on DAY 31:
Interesting facts as on Day 31:
- Sunil Narine & Shane Watson bowled the 16th & 17th Maidens of this season, both being wicket maidens.
- 19 extras bowled by Pune Warriors equalled the highest no. of extras bowled in a match along with Kings XI Punjab & Royal Challengers Bangalore.
- When Ganguly scored 6 runs, he went past to score 500 runs in Eden gardens.
- With a loss against KKR, Now Pune Warriors India lost 5 games in a row.
- Shane Watson scored 1000 runs in IPL and incidentally he is the quickest to achieve this feat.
- Dravid has gone past 25 runs or more in his last 8 consecutive innings including this one.
- 73 sixed conceded by Piyush CHawla is the most no. of sixes conceded by a bowler in IPL so far.
- Gurukreet Singh made his IPL debut for KXIP.
- Shaun Marsh on 11 went past 600 runs in Mohali ground.
- Rajasthan Royals have never lost a game when they have scored 160+ runs, and the record continues to stay.
- 44 runs scored in the last 9 overs by KKR is the lowest scored by KKR in the IPL history so far.
- 8 catches dropped for the day is the highest ever for this season, Royals – 3, KXIP – 1 and Pune topped with 4.
- Rahul Dravid scored the 50th boundary of this season.
At the end of DAY 31:
No. of Catches dropped for the day – 8
Total no. of Boundaries – 1144
Total no. of Sixes – 439
Longest Six – Chris Gayle – 111 & 106 Meters followed by Kieron Pollard – 105 Meters.
Most no. of Fours – A.Rahane (60) followed by V.Shewag (51)
Most no. of Sixes –Chris Gayle (29) followed by K.Pietersen (20)
Orange Cap –A.Rahane (463) followed by V.Shewag (445)
Purple Cap – Morne Morkel (19) followed by L.Malinga (17)